Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Dreamin' and wishing for more TIME!

Ahhh! So it's been a while since I've had anything to add on here, and well, I still am being quite neglectful both to my blogging and to my garden. Actually though, and I never thought I would be saying this, I am feeling very ANXIOUS to get back over to my apartment to check on my plants. I haven't seen them in over a week and I have no idea if they're dying, or what... It's almost killing me actually.

We still have some work to do over there to the house, so I'll be over there to check on them, hopefully tomorrow. For today, I hope to at least pick up a bag or two of compost and lime to revitalize the soil underneath the pine tree at our new house (it's dry, sandy and grass-less). I'm hoping to put my hostas under there, though I'd almost prefer to put them up against the house if we could get rid of the ugly blue cypress trees growing there. I did contemplate sawing them down, just not sure how heavy they really are, and they're kind of spiky. Anyway, I was happy to discover that I have an abundance of shade-loving, acid-tolerating plants already at the apartment, that I can bring over to our new house and plant under the huge ugly pine. The only thing that worries me there is that we may be chopping said pine down, and then I'd have to move the garden again just when the plants are starting to get established.
Anyway, I am feeling a slight sense of impatience as I would absolutely love to be growing some of my own edibles in our new back yard this year, but I've missed the planting season. Though I do wonder if perhaps I could pick up a couple pumpkin vines at least from a nursery to put into the vacant bed in the back yard (though I'd have to clean it out first, it's overgrown with weeds and I've been using it as a branch/leaf dumping ground as I pruned the various overgrown trees we have).
I guess maybe for this year I'll have to just accept that I'll be buying from the farmers markets instead of growing my own, but next year, I'll hopefully have a garden with: Corn, Pumpkins, Tomatoes, Hot Peppers, Rhubarb, Sunflowers, Blackberries, Basil, Lemon Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Tarragon, Peppermint, Spearmint, Dill, Borage, Parsely, Lavendar (lots of it!), Catnip,
English Ivy, Wild Grapes, Hostas, Hollyhocks, Peonies, Hellebores, Hardy Geraniums, Roses, Clematis, Periwinkle, Irises, Gardenia, Day Lillies, Ferns, Forget-Me-Nots and perhaps a Holly bush... :) It's nice to dream anyway.

No comments: