Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I'm so EXCITED and I just can't HIDE IT!!



Eeeee!!! I'm so excited!! This year is the first year where I'm thinking AHEAD for spring. Normally, (like last year), I wait until May long-weekend, then go to Canadian Tire and maybe the local greenhouse to buy a bunch of annuals that I plant, which later die because my yard is almost full-shade and I have a penchant for sun-loving plants... This year, I've been studying the seed catalogs and making lists of shade-loving plants (I'm hoping to also find some that bloom at night, for my 'moon garden', since we're rarely around during the day to enjoy it). There's a good deal on through Veseys (based in PEI) where they're deducting $25 off your total bill if you spend $50 or more by March 12.
I did, however, buy three seed packets today while strolling through Zellers on my way home from the grocery store. You see, I accidentally stumbled into their garden section, and to my total surprise and delight, they were selling metal pots, buckets and watering cans of all shapes, sizes and colours!!! I have been wanting to find something like this for my garden, and was planning to go to garage sales and paint old ones. However, I resisted the temptation (it was hard - and I couldn't leave without comprimising with myself - so I bought a bucket of fertilizer because it was only $5 and three seed packets). I found some Forget-Me-Nots that are apparently shade-loving plants. Then I spoiled myself with Baby's Breath and a bright pink mix called 'CandyTuft - Fairy Mixed Colours'. I have never heard of it, but hopefully if I can get it to grow, it'll go in a nice bright yellow container on my back deck...


Here are some pictures of what I hope they'll turn out looking like (will be interesting to compare results):
Candytuft:

Forget Me Not:


Babys Breath:








Oh, and I found a neat little site that sells really cool gardening tools - they're for kids, so they're probably not overly durable, but the watering cans are adorable (see above)! http://storeforknowledge.com/category.aspx?SID=1&Category_ID=278&Page=3

Anyway, according to the directions on my seed packets, I have to start some of the seeds in February (as in, NOW) and that scares me to death because I don't have grow-lights, need to buy a shelf, don't have containers or potting mix, etc and am relying on the sun coming through the window (it gets full sun all afternoon). Hopefully my little babies will LIVE!!!

No comments: